Looking for a great comfort food recipe? Make this one! It is simple to make….especially when using the no cook lasagna noodles. A great make ahead for your busy week too.
I did not use the white wine, I replaced with chicken broth. I also used 1 1/2 pounds of ground chicken with great results. I bought my pancetta at my local deli and just asked them to cut me 2oz. It worked out to about 56 grams.
I found this recipe on Pinterest which led me to the website http://www.jocooks.com
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 oz pancetta, chopped
1 lb ground chicken (I used 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1/4 cup chopped basil
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese (500 ml)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
9 lasagna noodles uncooked
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and pancetta to the pot and sauté for about 5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the ground chicken to the pot and break up using a wooden spoon so that it crumbles. Cook it for another 5 minutes until the ground chicken is no longer pink.
3. Add the oregano, chili flakes, tomato paste and stir. Add the wine and basil and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally add in the chicken broth and crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper as needed. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F.
5. In a bowl combine together the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese and the egg. Set aside.
6. Spread a couple of ladles of the bolognese sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles over the bolognese sauce;top with a couple more ladles of the sauce, then top with 1/3 of the cheese mixture, trying to spread it around a bit. Repeat with another 3 lasagna noodles, sauce, cheese, 3 more lasagna noodles, sauce and last of the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese over the top.
7. Bake for about an hour until the noodles are cooked though. If you are using fresh lasagna noodles, it will take less cooking time, about 35 to 45 minutes.
8. Let the lasagna cool for a few minutes before cutting into it. Feel free to garnish it with fresh parsley or basil and Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is super fast and easy to make! My kids loved it! This is a perfect make ahead meal for busy nights or a great hot lunch for the kids at school. I found this recipe on damndelicious.net.
I used 1 1/2 cups of red kidney beans instead of adding the 3/4 red and 3/4 white. I used ground turkey instead of using beef. I also grated my cheese super fine so that it melted quicker.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
8 ounces ground beef or ground turkey
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
10 ounces elbow pasta
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat oilve oil in a large killet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ground beef, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks;drain excess fat.
2. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin;season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer and stir in pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Top with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.
4. Serve immediatley, garnished with parsley, if desired.
I found this recipe on Epicurious.com. It was published in Gourmet magazine October 2008.
I read the user reviews and used the advice printed there. I simmered the butter and whipped cream with 2 cloves of crushed garlic. I scooped out the garlic once it was time to add the cooked fettuccine. I also added more cheese. I used real grated Parmesan cheese. I added 3/4 of a cup to my doubled recipe. I also used the reserved pasta water, some of the reviews said they didn’t and the pasta really stuck together.
1/2 a stick of butter = 1/4 cup = 4 Tbsp
My doubled recipe is 1 cup whipping cream, 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. I reserved 1 cup of the cooking water.
8 to 9 ounce egg fettuccine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Cook fettuccine in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
2. Meanwhile, bring cream and butter to a simmer in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-low heat, adding 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
3. Add fettuccine, 1/4 cup reserved water, and cheese and toss. Add more cooking water if necessary.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS