My son ate two bowls of this soup. I’m shocked! My son complains and complains about carrots and celery in soup, but he loved this recipe. My husband and I also really loved this soup. I make lots of great soups, as you can see on this blog, but this one really stands out! The best thing about this soup is that it is so EASY! My husband and I fought over the leftovers the next day.
I found this recipe on Pinterest. The original recipe comes from http://www.cookingclassy.com.
Instead of 4 cans of chicken broth, I used 2-900ml chicken broths. I also used Italian flat leaf parsley instead of regular parsley.
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (from about 5 medium)
1 cup chopped celery (from about 3 stalks)
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 (14.5oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
12 oz refridgerated three cheese tortellini
1/2 cup packed parsley (stems and all), plus more for serving
2 1/2 – 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from one 29oz chicken)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in chicken broth, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to tatse. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover and boil 5 minutes. Add tortellini and place parsley in a mound submerged into broth on top of tortellini, cover and boil 6-8 minutes longer (or one minute less than time on package). Using tongs, remove parsley (stir around in the soup first just to get all the flavour out). Stir in chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve warm, topped with chopped fresh parsley leaves.
YIELD: About 5 – 6 Servings
This wrap is amazing!! I took it from “The Best of Rose Reisman – 20 years of healthy recipes”. In her notes, Reisman states that a Cobb salad traditionally has chicken, blue cheese, bacon and heavy dressing…this is her lightened up version made into a wrap.
8 oz (250 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
1/2 cup (125 ml) diced plum tomatoes
1/2 cup (125 ml) diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup (125 ml) diced ripe avocado
1/3 cup (80 ml) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup (60ml) finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
4 tsp (20 ml) lemon juice
1 Tbsp (15 ml) reduced-fat sour cream
1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 tsp (5 ml) finely chopped garlic
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) hot chili sauce
Pinch of salt and pepper
4 large whole wheat flour tortillas
1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded agreed cheddar cheese (45g)
1. Lightly coat a nonstick grill pan with vegetable spray and set over medium heat. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Cool slightly, then slice thinly.
2. Combine the tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, black beans, green onions and parsley in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, sour cream, olive oil, garlic, chili sauce and salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Spread half of each tortilla with some of the tomato mixture. Top with slices of chicken and the shredded cheese. Fold the 2 sides in and roll up. Place the wraps in a clean grill pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning halfway, just enough to warm through. (Or heat in a 400F/200C oven for 5 minutes until warm.). Cut in half and serve.
Make ahead: Make wraps up to 2 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Makes 8 servings
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It got rave reviews!! Make sure you give yourself time to make this one, since you have to simmer the sauce for 1 1/2 hours.
I used about 17 noodles and I also used grated mozzarella cheese. My lasagna started to spill over slightly during cooking, so you may want to put a cookie sheet under your lasagna to avoid a mess.
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
3/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
4. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles, lenghthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
MAKES: 12 servings
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 2 hours 30 minutes
READY IN: 3 hours 15 minutes