This recipe is super fast and easy to make! My kids loved it! This is a perfect make ahead meal for busy nights or a great hot lunch for the kids at school. I found this recipe on damndelicious.net.
I used 1 1/2 cups of red kidney beans instead of adding the 3/4 red and 3/4 white. I used ground turkey instead of using beef. I also grated my cheese super fine so that it melted quicker.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
8 ounces ground beef or ground turkey
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
10 ounces elbow pasta
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat oilve oil in a large killet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ground beef, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks;drain excess fat.
2. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin;season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a simmer and stir in pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Top with cheese and cover until melted, about 2 minutes.
4. Serve immediatley, garnished with parsley, if desired.
This recipe is super tasty! I found this great find on Pinterest which lead me to the website thewholesomedish.com.
I used ground turkey instead of chicken. I also used a cup of my homemade marinara sauce. I used Guy Fieri’s recipe Fieri’s Marinara Sauce. You could also use Quick Marinara Sauce or Marinara Sauce , both recipes are from Giada De Laurentis.
4 medium zucchini (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 lb ground chicken
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup pasta sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Optional: sliced fresh basil for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and break it apart with a spoon. Add the salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally and break down down the chicken into small chunks.
3. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic to the chicken. Cook 1 minute stirring often. Add the pasta sauce. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. As the chicken cooks, cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and centre out of each zucchini half, leaving a 1/4-inch thick zucchini boat.
5. Place the zucchini in the baking dish cut-side up.
6. Spoon the chicken mixture into the zucchini boats. Press the mixture down into the zucchini using the back of a spoon.
7. Sprinkle the zucchini evenly with the Parmesan, then the mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Serving size: 2 halves
Saturated Fat: 6.1
This burger is awesome! This recipe is taken from one of my favorite cookbooks “The Complete Light Kitchen” by Rose Reisman. I used ground turkey instead of chicken on my first try of this recipe and it was fabulous! I served my burgers with the extra teriyaki sauce and grilled pineapples. Since we were at the cottage when I made this burger, we decided to also serve french fries from the local chip truck Rolly’s Homemade Fries.
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp crushed fresh garlic
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 lb ground chicken breast
1/3 cup dry seasoned breadcumbs
3 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
1. To make the teriyaki sauce, whisk the sugar, soy sauce, water, vinegar, oil, cornstarch, garlic and ginger in a small skillet. Simmer for 3 minutes or just until thickened.
2. Place 3 Tbsp of the teriyaki sauce in a bowl and add the chicken, egg, breadcrumbs and green onion. Mix well. Form into 5 patties.
3. Spray a grill or non-stick skillet with cooking oil and heat to high. Cook the patties for about 6 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the centre.
4. Serve with the remaining sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.