I usually only make this at Christmas but I decided in this time that we are home during this pandemic…we are having breakfast for dinner! I’m sure most of you have had this recipe before. It is from the very popular cookbook series The Best of Bridge.
I precook the bacon before I add it to the dish since I find it doesn’t cook well if you do not. I also cut my bacon up as it helps when cutting out servings. Since I made this for dinner, I made this in the morning around 10am and let it sit all day and popped it in the oven when it was time for dinner…which just adds more time to binge more Netflix. 🙂 I also used red pepper instead of green pepper. I have used turkey bacon in the past with good results, just make sure you pre-cook it. I use Special K as the cereal on top since we will eat it as cereal, no one will eat corn flakes.
16 slices white bread, crusts removed (use square sandwich bread)
Slices of Canadian back bacon or ham
Slices of sharp cheddar cheese (I use the Cracker Barrel cheddar slices)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 – 1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper (I used red pepper)
1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 cups milk
1/4 lb butter
Special “K” or crushed cornflakes
1. Put 8 pieces of bread in a 9×13 buttered glass baking dish. Add pieces to cover dish entirely.
2. Cover bread with thinly sliced bacon. Top with slices of cheddar cheese. Cover with slices of bread.
3. In a bowl, beat eggs and pepper. Add mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire, milk and tabasco.
4. Pour over bread, cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, melt butter and pour over top. Cover with crushed Special “K” or cornflakes.
6. Bake at 350F (180C) uncovered for 1 hour. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh fruit.