This roll makes a great appetizer. It’s fresh and super tasty!
I used a potato peeler to peel my slices of cucumber, but you could also use a mandoline.
One batch of Avocado mixture filled one cucumber. Next time, I will double the recipe. An English cucumber is best for this recipe as a garden cucumber has too many big seeds.
I made this ahead of time, and it became soggy. For best results, make and serve right away. See step 5 in the recipe instructions for tips on how to prepare to bring to a party.
No toothpicks are needed, just make sure you spread the mixture from end to end.
1/4 cup basil leaves
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Several grounds of pepper
Smoked or sweet paprika for garnish
1. Add the Avocado, basil, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. You can also blend by hand, finely mince the garlic and basil, and mash all the ingredients together with a fork until smooth and creamy.
2. Use a mandoline or potato peeler to cut long thin strips from the cucumber.
3. Take a cucumber strip and spread a thin coat of the Avocado mixture along the length of the cucumber. A little goes a long way! Make sure to get some Avocado all the way to the end, so it will stick the roll together.
4. Roll it up! No toothpicks needed. Do the same with the rest of your cucumber strips. Sprinkle with a little paprika and serve right away.
5. Cucumber is watery and softens quickly, so if you plan on bringing these to a party, prepare the Avocado spread that morning, and store in an air tight container. Bring a whole cucumber and potato peeler and assemble at the party.