Bell pepper nacho boats make a great appetizer or dinner. I served mine with avocado slices.
To make appetizer boats, make sure you pick peppers that have 4 bumps. It will make for smaller servings.
This recipe is great for a make ahead meal too. I pre-cooked my turkey and added the spices and salsa. I put the turkey mixture into the fridge until ready to assemble.
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup salsa, no sugar added
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced fat
3 bell peppers
1. Remove seeds, core, and membrane from bell peppers then slice each one into six vertical pieces where they dip down. Set sliced bell peppers aside.
2. Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Cook until the turkey loses it’s pink colour and is cooked through. Drain off any fat.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Combine cooked turkey with spices and salsa. Evenly distribute mixture into the bell peppers boats, top with cheese.
5. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot. Optional ingredients: sliced jalapeño peppers, diced avocado, fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream, or sliced green onions.