This salad is wonderful!! I found it on Twitter. @BobbisKozyKtchn tweeted this find from @Shockinglydlish. ( http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/ten-minute-chickpea-salad-with-feta-and-basil-from-herbivoracious/) This salad is super fast to make. I made mine in the morning, and it was perfectly marinated by lunch. I did not add any salt, as I find the feta I use salty enough.
3 (15-ounce) cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Three-quarters of a red onion, finely diced
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1 (15 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces feta, crumbled
1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
Freshly ground pepper
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, cucumber, roasted peppers, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss well to combine. Add feta and basil and toss to combine.
2. Taste and add salt and peppers needed. Depending on how salty your feta is, you might not need any salt.
3. Serve right away, or refrigerate for up to a few hours.
4. Serves 4-5 as an entree, or more for a side dish.
Another great one! This recipe is taken from “The Italian Way-Cooking with the De Lucas”.
For the dressing:
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 basil leaves, torn into pieces
3 large tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
12 bocconcini or 12 slices buffalo mozzeralla cheese
12 fresh basil leaves
1. Combine dressing ingredients and set aside. Arrange tomato slices on a platter. Top each with a bocconcini or a slice of mozzarella, drizzle with dressing, and garnish with fresh basil.
I make this recipe a lot as lemon chicken is our favorite menu item at a Chinese restaurant, so it is great to be able to make it at home. This recipe was taken from The Complete Light Kitchen by Rose Reisman. I do not add the parsley.
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp water or low-fat milk
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tsp water
1 tsp honey
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Working with one at a time, place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
2. Combine the breadcrumbs, nuts, salt and pepper in the bowl of a small food processor and process until finely ground. (The finer the nuts, the better they will stick to the chicken.) Place on a plate. Whisk the egg and water or milk together in a shallow bowl.
3. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture, then coat well with the breadcrumb mixture.
4. Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Sauté the chicken until browned on both sides and no longer pink inside, approximately 8 minutes. Place in a serving dish, cover and keep warm.
5. Spray the same skillet with cooking oil and sauté the mushrooms until softened, approximately 3 minutes. Add the stock, lemon juice, rind, dissolved cornstarch and honey and reduce the heat to low.
6. Simmer for 3 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and the sauce thickened.
7. Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with parsley.