I found this recipe on a blog called “Dinners Dishes & Desserts”. http://dinnersdishesanddesserts.com/brown-butter-mm-cookies-sundaysupper/
I have never made cookies with brown butter before, and I have to say that these are fantastic! I added Valentine Smarties to mine since it’s almost Valentine’s Day, and I am making cookies to give away to friends. I love the combination of the hard shelled candies with the chocolate chips. I also omitted the salt since I used salted butter.
1 cup brown butter (recipe below)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
3/4 cup M&M’s
1. Prepare brown butter and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Mix brown butter, sugar and brown sugar together until well combined.
4. Add vanilla and 2 eggs. Mix until everything is incorporated.
5. Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda.
6. Fold in chocolate chips.
7. Scoop golf ball size balls of dough onto a baking sheet. Top with a few M&M’s.
8. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoon sized slices
1. Heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter (sliced so that the butter melts more evenly) whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter.
2. Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further and perhaps burning.
It’s pretty easy to overcook browned butter and go from brown to burnt. If the butter starts to blacken, the blogger suggests dumping it and starting over.