I really like one dish easy meals and this one is a winner. Leftovers are even better the next day. I found this recipe on Pinterest which took me to the website gimmiesomeoven.com. If anyone in your family does not like broccoli it’s easy to pick out or swap it for another vegetable.
I used regular white pasta but please feel free to use whole wheat or gluten-free. You can also use a rotisserie chicken in this recipe to make it even easier.
8 ounces uncooked pasta (I used rotini)
1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 small white onion, diced
8 ounces baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups diced (or shredded) cooked chicken
1. Heat oven to 400F
2. Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted boiling water until it is al dente. However, about 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter (or oil) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
4. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it is combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
5. In a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into an even layer.
6. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
7. Serve warm, garnish with extra black pepper and or fresh herbs, if desired.