I love easy simple dinners, and this is one of them. However, I would make a few changes. I prefer less rice and more meat. I made 3 chicken breasts instead of 2. I also used a bag of frozen vegetables to see how it worked in this recipe and I had great results. However, next time I would steam fresh veggies since there wasn’t enough broccoli in the frozen mix that I bought….I could honestly make this recipe with just broccoli alone. I love broccoli. Also, please switch out the white rice for brown!
This recipe is perfect for make-ahead lunches or a quick make ahead dinner. Pre-cook on a Sunday night and just re-heat for your busy Monday night…or portion out for lunches for the week.
I found this recipe on Pinterest. It lead me to the website life-in-the-loft house.com.
3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons cornstarch plus 2 tablespoons water
2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 3 large)
1 (12 oz) bag stir-fry vegetables that can be found in the produce section (for convenience I tried frozen with good results)
3 cups cooked brown or white rice
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
2. Combine soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a small saucepan and cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove lid and cook for one minute once boiling.
3. Meanwhile, stir together the corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water in a seperate dish until smooth. Once sauce is boiling, add mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce starts to thicken then remove from heat.
4. Place the chicken breasts in the prepared pan. Pour one cup of the sauce over the top of the chicken. Place chicken in oven and bake 35 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and shred chicken in the dish using two forks.
5. *Meanwhile, steam or cook the vegetables according to package directions.
6. Add the cooked vegetables and rice to the casserole dish with the chicken. Add most of the remaining sauce, reserving a bit to drizzle over the top when serving. Gently toss everything together in the casserole dish until combined. Return to oven and cook 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Drizzle each serving with remaining sauce. Enjoy!