This recipe is super tasty! I found this great find on Pinterest which lead me to the website thewholesomedish.com.
I used ground turkey instead of chicken. I also used a cup of my homemade marinara sauce. I used Guy Fieri’s recipe Fieri’s Marinara Sauce. You could also use Quick Marinara Sauce or Marinara Sauce , both recipes are from Giada De Laurentis.
4 medium zucchini (about 1 3/4 pounds)
1 lb ground chicken
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup pasta sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Optional: sliced fresh basil for topping
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and break it apart with a spoon. Add the salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Stir occasionally and break down down the chicken into small chunks.
3. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic to the chicken. Cook 1 minute stirring often. Add the pasta sauce. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. As the chicken cooks, cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and centre out of each zucchini half, leaving a 1/4-inch thick zucchini boat.
5. Place the zucchini in the baking dish cut-side up.
6. Spoon the chicken mixture into the zucchini boats. Press the mixture down into the zucchini using the back of a spoon.
7. Sprinkle the zucchini evenly with the Parmesan, then the mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Serving size: 2 halves
Saturated Fat: 6.1