These cookies are rich and delicious!! I took this recipe from “Sweet and Vicious – Baking with an Attitude” by Libbie Summers. The original name for her cookies is “Side-Slap & Tickle Cookies”.
I had a difficult time finding the malted milk powder. I had no luck at Bulk Barn. I ended up going to a local bulk store called “Scoop and Weigh”, here I was told that malted milk powder is used in milkshakes and cookies mostly.
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
6 tablespoons malted milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
24 malted milk balls, crushed
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of the malted milk powder, the baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until just combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Stir in the malted milk balls. Remove the bowl from the standing mixer and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 4 tablespoons malted milk powder and the confectioners’ sugar. Use a 1-tablespoon measure to scoop the dough, then roll each portion into a ball. Repeat until all the dough has been used. Roll each dough ball in the confectioners’ sugar mixture until it is uniformly coated, then place on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies begin to crackle on top (they look kind of like the surface of the moon).
5. Let the cookies cool for 15 minutes before the slapping and tickling commences.
YIELDS 24 COOKIES