We love this fried rice recipe. It’s super easy to make. You can also prepare this a day in advance and just reheat in a skillet over low heat to warm through.
I pounded my chicken flat and browned it in a skillet. I also cooked the rice according to package directions. I always use basmati rice for this recipe.
I took this recipe from my favorite cookbook, “The Complete Light Kitchen” by Rose Reisman.
1 cup long-grain rice
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/3 cup chicken stock
3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
2/3 cup chopped carrots
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced snow peas
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 green onions, chopped
1. Bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the rice. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Cool.
2. While the rice is cooking, preheat the barbecue or a non- stick grill pan to medium-high and spray with cooking oil. Cook the chicken for 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Dice and set aside.
3. Whisk the stock, soy sauce and hoisin sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Cook the carrots in a pot of boiling water until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain.
5. Spray a non-stick wok or large skillet with cooking oil, add vegetable oil and place over high heat. Add the red peppers, snow peas, garlic, ginger and carrots; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cooled rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the stock mixture and the chicken. Cook for 1 minute longer, until heated through.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with green onions.