This recipe is taken from “Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook”. I took it out from the library, and it’s due back soon. I think I may just end up buying it from the bookstore since there are many, many recipes in here that look so good!
I really love this cookie. It reminds me of a brownie. Now, with this being said, this is NOT a cakey cookie. I actually dislike cake, and I do not like cookies that taste that way. This cookie is rich and soft, perfect for those chocolate cravings. 🙂
The recipe calls for “1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped”. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. I weighed them out to a pound and then measured them after and it worked out to an exact 2 1/2 cups. I used instant coffee sachets when I first started making this cookie as I wasn’t sure how it would go over. I buy a big jar of instant coffee now since this recipe has turned into a family favorite.
I have also added the recipe for “Thick and Chewy Triple-Chocolate Cookies”. I may have to try that one next time.
2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed (10 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1. Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt togther in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Microwave chocolate at 50 percent power for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate and continue heating until melted, stirring once every additional minute; set aside to cool slightly. Whisk eggs and vanilla together in medium bowl; sprinkle instant coffee over top to dissolve, and set aside.
3. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar at medium speed until combined, about 45 seconds; mixture will look granular. Reduce speed to low, gradually add egg mixture, and mix until incorporated, about 45 seconds. Add melted chocolate in steady stream and mix until combined, about 40 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer still running on low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overbeat. Cover bowl of dough with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until consistency is scoopable and fudgelike, about 30 minutes.
4. Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll into balls and place 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake until edges of cookies have just begun to set but centres are still very soft, about 10 minutes, switching and rotating baking sheets halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes; transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
MAKES ABOUT 42 COOKIES
THICK AND CHEWY TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE COOKIES
The addition of chocolate chips will slightly increase the yield of the cookies
1. Add 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips to batter after dry ingredients are incorporated in step 3.