This recipe was taken from Food and Drink magazine, Autumn 2004. The picture i took was my son’s bowl and I didn’t add the cilantro. I do highly suggest you do though.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
2 tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
8 large shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, cut in half
1 1/2 cups Thai jasmine rice, rinsed
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
1 tsp Asian hot chili sauce
1 cup green peas
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Slice chicken thighs in half, or quarters if large. Place in bowl, combine shallots, ginger and garlic. Toss chicken with half of shallot mixture and all of soy sauce. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over a medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, season with salt and pepper and add to oil. Fry 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown but not cooked through. Remove from pan, add mushrooms and sauté 1 minute or until softened. Season mushrooms and set aside.
3. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add remaining shallot mixture and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in rice, chicken broth (or water) and chili sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and place chicken pieces and mushrooms over rice. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Scatter in peas and green onions and cook, covered, until both rice and chicken are cooked, about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir vegetables and chicken into rice, garnish with coriander. Serve with Spicy Citrus Sauce. (recipe follows)
Spicy Citrus Sauce
This sauce enhances the flavour of the chicken and rice. It should be served in a sauce boat allowing each diner to drizzle some over their plate. The grocery store did not have mint that is why you don’t see it in the picture.
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp Asian chili sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1. Combine ginger, chili sauce, fish sauce, water, lemon and lime juice, brown sugar and fresh mint in a bowl. Let sit for one hour before serving.
Makes about 1/2 cup.