This is my favorite pizza. It takes some work to make but it is well worth it. The recipe asks to cut the dough in 8 pieces, i just make 2 pizzas on the BBQ. You would think the dough would fall through the grates of the BBQ, but it doesn’t. The crust turns out perfect every time. I highly recommend that you make this pizza with the basil drizzle, but I have made it without and the pizza is still good. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough attachment to make the crust. This recipe was taken from The Best of HeartSmart Cooking by Bonnie Stern.
Grilled Vegetarian Pizza
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 envelope dry yeast (1 Tbsp)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Cherry tomato sauce (see recipe below)
4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1. To prepare crust, in a large bowl, combine warm water and sugar . Sprinkle with yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, or until yeast bubbles up.
2. Stir in all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt and 1 tbsp oil. (This can be done by hand or in a food processor.) If necessary, add more all-purpose flour until dough is still very soft but does not stick to your fingers or counter.
3. Knead dough for 5 to 8 minutes, form into a ball and place in a large bowl with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Roll dough in oil, cover and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until dough doubles in volume.
4. Meanwhile, to prepare topping, in a food processor, puree basil, oil and salt.
5. Punch dough down and cut into 8 pieces. Roll out or stretch each piece of dough until very thin (about 6 inches/15 cm in diameter.) Do not worry if pieces are oddly shaped. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or brush with a little olive oil.
6. Place dough on a hot grill and grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Reduce heat to low.
7. Top pizzas with tomato sauce and mozzarella, close lid and cook for about 5 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and crust is crispy on bottom (check occasionally to make sure bottom is not browning too much.) You can also transfer grilled dough to a baking sheet, add toppings and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes.
8. Drizzle each pizza with 1 tsp basil oil. (Freeze any remaining basil oil.)